
What is your stance on Wal-Mart? To me, Wal-Mart represents all that is good and bad with the world. As a parent, I am easily lulled by the convenience of doing all of my shopping in one place and the ability to purchase products at "affordable" prices. However, any joy I may feel from the time and money saved by shopping at Wal-Mart is more often than not squashed by the guilt of supporting a multi-national conglomerate that destroys local businesses, supports sweatshops, strong-arms small manufacturers and frequently abuses it's employees rights and privileges.
I am therefore torn by Wal-Mart's latest push to "go green." On the one hand, I am thrilled to find organic cotton clothing available to the masses. Organic produce and dairy products have never been easier to find. And Wal-Mart's plan to expand the market for CFL light bulbs has single-handedly caused a market explosion that could very well lead to a "CFL in every socket." Yet, it remains unclear whether or not these new offerings are really green or just "green-washed".
I mention all of this today in response to Wal-Mart's latest environmental move. They have recently partnered with a non-profit called the Carbon Disclosure Project in an effort to improve the energy efficiency of their stores and their supply chain. The retailer will participate in a pilot project to report all of the energy used in the manufacturing, distribution, procurement and supply of seven commonly-used household items, namely, DVDs, toothpaste, soap, milk, beer, vacuum cleaners and soda.
This seems like good news to me...a large company like Wal-Mart could potentially account for real reductions in energy use and overall greenhouse gas emissions. Yet I remain wary. What do you think?
Photo courtesy of www.freeimages.co.uk.












